Tuesday, March 24, 2009


i'm sitting in my favorite red chinese chair next to my open window. i can see how the cool breeze moves through the giant bamboo tree that borders the fence. the silver bismark, with it's massive fan-shaped leaves, catches my eye as it dances around in the cool spring morning...


it's a perfect morning



the phone rings. it's arden, my biggums, calling from from college. there's background noise and she sounds a little winded, "i'm walking home from school" she says, "what are you up to?" we chat for awhile... she wants to stay for the summer and take some classes... she wants to go to spain next spring for school ... she's headed to the coffee shop to study

you know, just regular mother/ daughter talk.


i put my feet up on the ottoman and smile. lot's of people take regular mother/daughter banter for granted. i do not. this is a relatively new phenomenon for me... for us. usually it's misunderstood words, rolling of the eyes, and tears on both sides of the aisle. but in this conversation she sounds happy and lighthearted. i hear a tiny bit of homesickness in her voice. not enough for her to actually want to come home, just enough to want to hear from home.



i get a little distracted thinking of how much i'm loving this conversation to actually listen to what she's saying i have to make myself concentrate. focus! what i've wished and prayed for is happening. right now. she's growing up, i'm growing up, we're finally coming together. "i miss you" she's says as the construction noise behind her gets louder and threatens to drown out the words. we relunctantly say our goodbyes.




"i miss you too, sweetheart." i say, smiling and grateful. a perfect morning indeed.






Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;-
Phil 4:6

1 comment:

steve and randel hambrick said...

mmmm. great story. it makes me sad already for when my girls leave the nest :(

About Me

My photo
I was born in cuba and came to america when l was 3. I married my college sweetheart and we have two oh so beautiful and very different girls [arden (biggums) who is 21, tall and majestically fierce and addison (little) who, to her delight, is finally 18 with hazel eyes and a smile that will melt your heart]. my motto is to live simply and love abundantly.
sometimes I sits and think, sometimes I sits and write, and sometimes I just sits...

just stories from my life...